Friday, October 21, 2011

Oven-Roasted Beets and Kale with Feta

I have a confession to make. Before I started my natural treatment program for rheumatoid arthritis I could count on one hand the number of times I'd eaten beets. They were of the pickled variety (my mom's fave) and I didn't like them. In fact, I loathed them. So it was with some trepidation that I purchased my first bunch of beets at Central Market for juicing. I had to give them a try, I knew there was no way around it. I had learned in my research that beets are super nutritious and detoxifying and my main problem with my health was toxicity, so...

Much to my surprise the beet juice was super delicious and added a lovely sweetness to the greens and turmeric I was juicing with them. Still, it was several weeks before I was brave enough to try cooked beets. I decided to oven-roast them. Past experience with other veggies had taught me that the process would produce a tender, al dente internal texture, while allowing the exterior to caramelize. The result was spectacular. It was life-changing. I kid you not, it was practically a spiritual experience.

It's safe to say now that beets are a regular player in my diet. I toss them with lots of other veggies and grains but my absolute favorite beet dish is the one below. This recipe is the perfect combination of flavors, the sharpness of the feta balances the sweetness of the beets. The textures are interesting too, the soft beets against the crisp kale leaves and the crunch of the toasted walnuts. I swear my mouth is watering just thinking about it!

Oven-Roasted Beets with Kale and Feta

1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
3 small or 1 large red beet, washed, peeled and cubed (you want about 2 cups cubed)
4 kale leaves, washed, ribs removed, torn into bite-sized pieces
1/2 cup toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
salt and pepper to taste
  1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees with the baking sheet in the oven so it gets nice and hot before you add the beets.
  2. Toss the beets with the 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small bowl. Carefully remove the hot pan from the oven and spread the beets in a single layer. Return to the oven until tender and beginning to caramelize, about 15 minutes. Shake the pan now and then to cook evenly.
  3. Meanwhile, toss the kale leaves with the 1 teaspoon olive oil in the same bowl used for the beets.
  4. Add the kale leaves to the baking sheet with the beets and bake until crispy, about 8 minutes.
  5. Add the walnuts to the baking pan for just one minute to warm through.
  6. Remove the pan from the oven and transfer mixture to a serving bowl. Add the feta and toss gently. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
TIPS:
  • Always toast nuts before using them in cooking or baking, it gives them so much more flavor. Instead of toasting for each recipe as I need them, I toast the whole bag when I buy it, then store the toasted nuts in the freezer. Just pull out what you need when you need it. Time saver.
  • You can substitute golden beets in this recipe but the reds are so gorgeous against the green kale and white feta. We eat with our eyes too!
  • You can use any type of kale here. I often use the "dinosaur" or Liconato variety, but this time I used the purple curly leaf kale and it was divine.
  • If you're dairy free you can omit the feta and the dish is still delicious. I only just added goat cheese back to my diet again in last 2 weeks. I was off all dairy for months, and I ate this dish without it and didn't miss it. That being said, now that feta is back in my life, I'm not sure how I lived without it!

No comments:

Post a Comment